|Home fires caused by candles occur
at twice the monthly average in December. Peak days are:
- Christmas Day
- Christmas Eve.
Safety tips for using candles include:
- Always stay in the room where candles are being burned.
- Keep lit candles at least one foot away from anything
that can burn.
- Keep candles away from children.
- Use sturdy candle holders that won't tip or burn. (Watch
for combustible decorations that may surround the candle holder.)
- Burn candles on sturdy uncluttered surfaces.
- Keep lit candles at least one foot away from curtains,
mattresses and other combustibles.
- Trim candle wicks to 1/4 inch before lighting.
- Extinguish candles when they are within two inches of