|During the holiday season,
ladders are used frequently for decorating. Most ladder-related injuries
happen because the ladder slips or slides. Here are a few tips to remember.
- Choose a ladder long enough that you
can reach your objective without reaching too far.
- Make sure the ladder is firmly planted
on stable footing. Soft and uneven earth is a particular concern.
- Secure the ladder or have someone hold
- Keep your body over the ladder. A good
rule is to keep your navel within the ladder rails.
- Reposition the ladder to avoid excessive
- If you must use a ladder for access to
an elevated surface, e.g., a roof, be especially careful. Getting off and
on increases the chance the ladder will slip.